Sunday, April 5, 2015

Suprisingly Busy Evening in the Garage

It turns out a part was waiting for installation, the downtube cable guides.  Again, full shift cable housings will run the entire length from lever to Rohloff's external mesh shift mechanism.  The Origin8 cable stops I bought were intended for bare cables and include a nut adjuster (pictured below).  To make them work with full housings, the adjusters had to be removed and the barrels had to be drilled out to accommodate a 5mm housing.  It turns out the ever so common 13/64 inch drill bit did the trick.  13/64 inches is a mere 6/1000 inches larger than 5mm, so the housings should fit with no slop.

The drilling part took seconds, literally.  Holding the stop with a pair of vice grips (jaws padded), the bit easily bored out the threads and through the stop.  Here are a pic of one of the modified guides attached to the bike frame:



If you look closer at that last picture, you will see I remedied an earlier snafu by painting the headset with gloss black Krylon Maxx paint.  No more branding.  I also painted the other two parts of the headset that had branding.  Its worth noting, I usually suck at spray painting anything.  I usually impatiently spray the first coat too heavily and make a mess, so this was a total leap of faith.  Five patiently applied light coats with ample dry time and voila, no runs, no drips, no errors (you tell 'em Johnny Bench).  I'll try not to hurt myself as I pat myself on the back,

No comments:

Post a Comment