Thursday, April 2, 2015

First Rookie Mistake

That didn't take long.  I have exactly 3/7th of one component installed and I've already made an irreversible error.  The 3/7th's comes from the fact I have now installed three of the seven headset parts; the crown race and both cups.  That's 3/7th's of one component in six days, or 1/7th every two days.  At that rate, sixty components will take approximately 840 days to complete.  Needless to say, I need to pick up the pace ... as soon as the delivery companies pick up the pace.

The mistake?  I didn't turn the bottom cup of the Cane Creek 110 headset so the branding displayed straight on.  The cup is rotated about 90 degrees, so the "Cane Creek" is on the left and the "110" on the right.  I would have preferred the "110" located directly above the Soma badge.  At least I didn't ovalize the head tube.


I used Dupont's Marine Waterproof grease with Teflon, and greased the threads and nylon washer (the thick white washer in the pic below) of the DIY headset press.  This helped as the washers didn't try to turn/move as the nuts where torqued.  Same grease got used to lube the head tube, and will be used on all parts connected directly to the frame.


The white-ish color on the cups in the pic below is some of the Dupont grease.  



My advice, should you do this:  1) Make sure the washers, and hence the rod, is centered on the cups at all times.  2)  Go slow, painstakingly slow at first.  3) Turn the nut a half turn at a time and check the alignment from several angles.  The cup can look straight from the front and crooked from the side.  My top cup got a tiny bit cockeyed (less than 1/8 inch).  I took a hammer and tapped (light taps) on the washer where the cup was high.  It straightened it out.  The trick is to catch and remedy any unevenness while its only slightly off.  


No comments:

Post a Comment