Saturday, April 4, 2015

Okay, Who Spaced the Spacers?

My plan was to order from domestic outlets, all the small parts needed to build up the stem out to the handlebar.  I also ordered a seatpost clamp and seatpost from the states.  Doing so would give me something to do while waiting for the majority of components to arrive from Europe.

Good plan gone bad.  All domestic pieces have arrived, except the headset spacers.  Of course without the spacers, I can't measure and cut the steering tube, meaning I cant install the stem and star nut and handlebar, meaning I can't do anything until the spacers arrive.  The good news is they got shipped a few days ago.  The bad news is they are apparently coming by boat, evident by the late next week ETA.

Then there's the seatpost clamp, a plain all black (even the bolt) Chromag clamp.  All black by design.  A pet peeve of mine is an inherent dislike for loud obnoxious high-contrast branding on every little part.  If someone looks at my bike closely and sees that it has a Chromag seatpost clamp, fine.  Seeing the branding on my chainring bolts from 5 feet away seems ridiculous.  The bike will be orange and black, without the heavily sponsored stock car look, thank you.  End rant.


Speaking of branding, the S O M A lettering on the downtube shines in high-contrast, but that's bike branding, not part branding, and sits right with me,  Besides, Soma has a kickass headtube badge in my opinion, even though neither black nor orange.

I lucked out on the seatpost.  The difficulty of finding a descent seatpost without branding urged me to go with Soma's Layback post.  Virtually every web picture of the post looked like this, with a flat black finish and inconsistent Soma logo ...


The seatpost I received had a finish similar to the Chromag clamp and had the same logo as the headtube badge.  Yay, happiness exuded!





Here's the seatpost clamp installed.  Took me all of about 30 seconds.  Phew, enough bike building for one today.



No comments:

Post a Comment