Friday, April 17, 2015

Politics, Religion and Kickstands

Within the cycling community, discussions regarding kickstands seem to raise emotions similar to politics and religion.  Racing bikes don't need kickstands ... I get that.  They don't stop often, so rarely does the need to stand up a bike come about.  Even then, the side of a building or a tree works just fine.  Then there's the whole weight taboo.

A car replacement slash recreational slash commuter slash touring bike like I'm building, however, stops often and parks often, where a kickstand can come in really handy.  Besides, I live in the desert.  Once out of town, there aren't any trees, buildings or wooden fences to use as a prop.  If I stop, the bike gets laid down in the rocks, sage brush, cactus and fine desert sand.  I'd rather not do that.  The Pletscher kickstand I bought has a center mount and sports two legs to reduce tip-overs.


I'm considering not installing it.   The folks at Surly bikes strongly recommend against using kickstands on their Long Haul Trucker models and offer some compelling reasons.  Read here.  The phrase "crushed chainstays"  makes me cringe.  Like the LHT, Soma Wolverine frames are light weight (for steel), strong where they need to be, but aren't explicitly reinforced in the chainstay area to accommodate a kickstand.  Adding one may work just fine, but there's a reason the frame doesn't include a center plate.   Surly does say that if employing a kickstand, use the two-legged type, and specifically mentions Pletscher, but the risk has made me shy away.


Should I install a Pletscher double-legged kickstand?

No comments:

Post a Comment