Thursday, April 9, 2015

Another Piece to the Puzzle

This build feels like doing a jigsaw puzzle where only one piece can be added every couple days.  Today that piece was the weather vane atop the barn a Shimano SM-BB93 bottom bracket.

When I first considered building a bike, I found suggestions on a number of  websites, to have my LBS press in the headset, cut the steering tube and install the bottom bracket.  Those three activities, more so than any other component, carry the risk of ruining a frame or fork if something goes amiss.  Of course I didn't heed to this practical advice, deciding instead to roll  the dice.  With the headset pressed on a few days ago and now a bottom bracket successfully torqued, I'm two for two.  Now if those bleeping spacers would arrive, I could go for the trifecta, and cut the steering tube.

The bottom bracket went on easily and quickly, as the greased threads turned in smoothly (credit American Cycle for their frame prep work).  I used a Lezyne bottom bracket socket (pictured) and the TL-FC24 adapter (also pictured) included with the bottom bracket itself.  The adapter slid snugly into the socket, and worked as a single unit.  I'd seen reviews where people have stripped the adapter, and suspect they used a bb spanner and didn't torque to spec.  Choosing the socket and a torque wrench proved to be a good choice.  I even remembered the drive side had left-handed threads.


Lastly, I'd like to say Shimano seems to be losing its mind.  I understand SRAM, Shimano and other vendors developing proprietary bottom bracket standards, but Shimano can't manage to follow their own standard.  Take the SM-BB93, SM-BBR60 and SM-BB70 bottom brackets:  all Shimano, all 68/73mm, all English threads, all still being offered.  They also each have different sized cups and require different tools to install.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment