Monday, May 23, 2016

None, none, none, none, none, none, none and none.

Okay, I'm a bit overdue with this post.  I promised back in February I'd give an update on the Gates belt after 1,000 miles of use.  Well I passed that mark some time ago ... here's the update, albeit late.

I duly report, that I have nothing to duly report.  Not. A. Thing.  Nothing, nil, nada, zilch, squat!

Problems:  None
Adjustments:  None
Maintenance: None
Lubrication: None
Noise: None
Greasy Pant Legs: None
Cleanings: None
Visible Wear:  None

The belt has replaced the most tended part on my bike, the chain, with one of the least tended parts.  I don't even think about it (much) ... you know ... like not thinking to post an update.  Admittedly, its not as far in the back of my mind as the little nuts on the valve stems, but its close.  And yes, bike snobs, I still use those little valve stem nuts.



4 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    In the off chance you're checking the comments on this blog, I had a question about sizing. I'd like to build up a Wolverine myself but generally size off of the effective top tube on a drop bar bike. However, on the Wolverine build I'd like to use flat bars like you did. Any chance you know the size of Wolverine yours is vs what size road bike you normally ride? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the Wolverine and a 29er only, so no recent road bike experience. I bought the 54cm frame. I'm 5'10" with a normal to slightly below average inseam. A 56cm would have worked just fine, but the top tube sits rather high (straight across). I'm thankful for going with the 54cm every time I jump down with both feet (occasionally).

      Delete
  2. Hello,

    I am glad to see you are still responding to queries. I have been using your blog for reference as I've built up my Wolverine which is, thankfully, almost done. I had a question about your Tubus rack. Specifically, I keep hearing from folks that Tubus plus disc brakes is a no go, yet you seem to have installed it without any interference between the two. Did you have to make any modifications, use spacers etc. to accommodate the rack going over the caliper? Thanks for the feedback in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the Tubus Logo Evo. I remember making sure I got a disc compatible rack so someplace Tubus had advertised the Logo Evo to work with disc brakes. I could have sworn it said so on their website but its not there now, nor on the Ortlieb website. It might have been in the install manual, also. Either way, the rack fit my Wolverine without modifying anything to accommodate the disc brakes. I do see where Tubus sells an extender that's supposed to make their racks disc brake compatible, but I didn't get it nor need it. I can insert the tip of my index finger between the rack and the caliper ... plenty of space.

      Delete