Thursday, February 4, 2016

Lefty Loosy, Righty Tighty

I plan to install the Gates Belt components onto my Wolverine this weekend.  I hadn't had many weekends free lately, but this looks as good as any.  Its important to note, I've been waiting for a full weekend in case issues arise.  This bike is my ride to work, so it has to be up and running Monday morning at 7:00 AM.  A week night might not allow me the time needed.

I did make two attempts on two different weekends, though.  Both attempts started with trying to get the cog off the hub.  I tried one Friday night using a make-shift chain whip but failed, so the next morning I took it to the ol' reliable local bike shop.  With my Rohloff cog removal tool (pictured) already affixed to the hub, one of the mechanics took it to the back of the shop to "give it a go".  Twenty minutes later he returned with cog still attached to the hub.  He had used a vice to hold the hub, then bent two tools trying to get the cog off.  Sigh.



On the second attempt, I took the wheel with me on an out of town trip, in hopes a bike shop there could help ... but forgot the tool.  I went to a shop that sells Rohloff related items (including the tool) on their website, so there was hope they would have some experience ... nope.  The first mechanic asked three times what kind of hub it was.  He'd never even heard of a Rohloff.  The second guy let me into his shop with him.  He attached the tool and a large chain whip ... my hopes ran high.  As he readied to press the chain whip and wrench down in opposite directions I noticed he had it backward ... ready to tighten the cog!  After a brief disagreement, I finally convinced him that the cog screwed on and needed to come off like a nut.  Then I notice he had attached the wrong tool.  Deep sigh.  Went home with the stubborn cog still attached.

I now wonder if the first mechanic didn't spend 20 minutes and two bent tools tightening the hell out of my cog.  Ugh.

Bought a Park Tool SR-11 Chain whip ...  that cog comes off this weekend!



4 comments:

  1. Hey, I love the blog! I just spent the past hour reading through the whole process, looks very enjoyable (and also maddening) but definitely beyond my experience level.

    Now that you've had it about six months, is there anything you wish you had known on Day One? I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on a Wolverine set up for adventure: 2.1" tires, 1x11 gearing, Salsa Cowbell bars, and frame/seat bags. Have you noticed any quirks or issues that have not been addressed in the blog?

    Thanks!
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt, glad you like the blog. My experience was zero when I started, so definitely not beyond what you can do. A little research and a big leap of faith is all it takes.

    I am now approaching the 3,000 mile mark and remain very pleased with my decisions. I loved the Marathon Supreme tires but they were no match for the goathead thorns in my area ... that's one thing I wish I knew on day one. I also struggled with chainline during research and went with the Rohloff specific Middleburn cranks/spider. They are great cranks but if doing over, I'd go with a much cheaper option.

    I like your adventure setup idea. I've played with the idea of throwing some 2.0 tires on and bikepacking the less-technical trails. The versatility of the Wolverine frame is very much as advertised.

    No quirks or disappointments, partly because i took the steps to get the framed prepped correctly and spec'd out quality parts. The Rohloff is a rock. Love the frame too ... pumpkin orange is my new favorite color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd first call Cycle Monkey and ask if there's anything special about removing the cog. If not, a cheater bar might encourage the cog to give up its grip. Maybe some heat carefully applied with a propane torch would help too.

    I'm looking forward to your next post reporting all was a success.

    ReplyDelete